Thread poster: Marie Scarano
Marie Scarano
Marie Scarano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2015

I am currently working on a MAC in Parallel with Windows 7 and Office 2010. My questions are:

1- I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 and Trados Studio 2015. but am a bit concerned about compatibility and would like to avoid any problems. I read the forum about W10-Studio14 issues, but would like to know if anyone has any news on this.

2- As these CAT tools are stand-alone now and no longer plug-ins to Word, is it necessary to upgrade OFFICE as well? Any problems, com
... See more
I am currently working on a MAC in Parallel with Windows 7 and Office 2010. My questions are:

1- I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 and Trados Studio 2015. but am a bit concerned about compatibility and would like to avoid any problems. I read the forum about W10-Studio14 issues, but would like to know if anyone has any news on this.

2- As these CAT tools are stand-alone now and no longer plug-ins to Word, is it necessary to upgrade OFFICE as well? Any problems, comments, observations would be useful.

3 - If it is recommended to upgrade OFFICE as well, does anyone have experience with 365 (apparently the future of office) or 2016 (which is seems Microsoft has no intention of continuing)???
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:56
English to Thai
+ ...
Question No.2 Dec 7, 2015

I only reply to question No.2:
>2- As these CAT tools are stand-alone now and no longer plug-ins to Word, is it necessary to upgrade OFFICE as well? Any problems, comments, observations would be useful.

I use Office 2010 with Windows 7 smoothly. I cannot imagine about Windows 10.
But please be reminded that new Trados versions usually give new errors and we need to wait for the patches to mend.
My Trados 2015 cannot create bilingual file of *.txt (tab delimited) ty
... See more
I only reply to question No.2:
>2- As these CAT tools are stand-alone now and no longer plug-ins to Word, is it necessary to upgrade OFFICE as well? Any problems, comments, observations would be useful.

I use Office 2010 with Windows 7 smoothly. I cannot imagine about Windows 10.
But please be reminded that new Trados versions usually give new errors and we need to wait for the patches to mend.
My Trados 2015 cannot create bilingual file of *.txt (tab delimited) type completely if the target contains "xxx" (words in quotation marks.)
Other errors are also expected.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:56
Finnish to French
Bilingual files of *.txt type? Dec 7, 2015

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
My Trados 2015 cannot create bilingual file of *.txt (tab delimited) type completely if the target contains "xxx" (words in quotation marks.)

Can you provide more information about this? What are "bilingual files of *.txt type", and why would you need to create them?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Office 365 vs. 2016 Dec 7, 2015

Marie Scarano wrote:
3 - If it is recommended to upgrade OFFICE as well, does anyone have experience with 365 (apparently the future of office) or 2016 (which is seems Microsoft has no intention of continuing)???

"Office 365" is just the marketing name of the annual subscription that includes Office itself and disk space in Microsoft’s cloud service (OneDrive). There are some additional benefits as well, such as being able to install it on five computers and also on mobile devices. The underlying Office is whatever happens to be the latest Office: right now, it’s Office 2016; previously it was Office 2013. You can buy Office 2016 without an annual subscription (365): in that case, you pay a flat fee and can use Office 2016 forever (just like you could use Trados 2014 "forever", if you wanted to).

Some people have reported problems with Trados 2015 and Office 2016, and had to revert to Office 2013.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Stick to Windows 7 & Office 2010 Dec 7, 2015

Marie Scarano wrote:
1- I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 and Trados Studio 2015.

If I were you, I would upgrade to Trados 2015, but stick to Windows 7 and Office 2010.
Marie Scarano wrote:
2- As these CAT tools are stand-alone now and no longer plug-ins to Word, is it necessary to upgrade OFFICE as well? Any problems, comments, observations would be useful.

Many CAT tools (including Trados Studio) use MS Office for two purposes: 1) spellchecking (as an alternative to Hunspell, which is usually worse), 2) real-time preview.
AFAIK, real-time preview only works with the complete version of Office (as opposed to the "click-to-run" version). And with Office 2013/2016, most editions (including the less expensive 365 subscriptions) are only available as "click-to-run", which means real-time preview cannot be used. So if you happen to have the full version of Office 2010 (not the "click-to-run" edition) and real-time preview works for you, then stick to Office 2010.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10-Office-CAT Upgrades

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »