How can I use a .tmx TM with Déjà Vu X3?
Thread poster: Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2015

I bought Déjà Vu X3 recently and would like to know how to import a TM (.tmx format) into a project so that I can use it with the Word file I have to translate. I haven't had the software for very long and watched a beginners' webinar run by Atril just last week, it didn't cover this topic so I asked a question at the end. I was told I need to go to the "External Data" tab and import the TM, but the trouble is, I can't find a tab with that name. The only tabs I have are File, Home, Project, Le... See more
I bought Déjà Vu X3 recently and would like to know how to import a TM (.tmx format) into a project so that I can use it with the Word file I have to translate. I haven't had the software for very long and watched a beginners' webinar run by Atril just last week, it didn't cover this topic so I asked a question at the end. I was told I need to go to the "External Data" tab and import the TM, but the trouble is, I can't find a tab with that name. The only tabs I have are File, Home, Project, Lexicon, Insert, Review and View.

Can anyone tell me how to use a .tmx TM with Déjà Vu X3? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
create a TM first Feb 3, 2015

Hi Peter,

You can import TMX files into a Translation Memory (TM), so first create a TM. "External Data" tab is available in TMs.

HTH
Selcuk

Caroline Bajwel
Caroline Bajwel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:32
Member (2009)
English to French
How to use a .tmx TM with Déjà Vu X3 Feb 3, 2015

Here is the procedure:
1/ Create a DVX3 translation memory: in DVX3 interface, click on File/New/Translation memory, then follow the wizard instructions.
(NB: if you already have a DVX3 TM, you can open it and import your .tmx.)
2/ Click on External Data tab, Import section, and choose TMX, then follow the wizard instructions to import your .tmx.
3/ To check the TMX entries you just imported, display the appropriate source and target languages in DVX3 TM interface.
... See more
Here is the procedure:
1/ Create a DVX3 translation memory: in DVX3 interface, click on File/New/Translation memory, then follow the wizard instructions.
(NB: if you already have a DVX3 TM, you can open it and import your .tmx.)
2/ Click on External Data tab, Import section, and choose TMX, then follow the wizard instructions to import your .tmx.
3/ To check the TMX entries you just imported, display the appropriate source and target languages in DVX3 TM interface.
Once done, you may use your new DVX3 TM with any translation project by selecting this TM in the Create new translation project wizard.
Collapse

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Local time: 01:32
Knowledge Base Feb 3, 2015

We have an article in our Knowledge Base: http://helpdesk.atril.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase&cmd=viewentclient&id=51

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks everyone! Feb 3, 2015

Your replies were very helpful, I've just managed to do it. Thank you all very much!

mikhailo
mikhailo
English to Russian
+ ...
re Feb 4, 2015

Simply import TMX in project as any file to translate.
Then You can send it to Your TM and (pre)translate your files.

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX import into project Feb 4, 2015

mikhailo wrote:

Simply import TMX in project as any file to translate.
Then You can send it to Your TM and (pre)translate your files.

It is another method, if the TMX file provided by the client is a small one (100-500 segments for me), I import it into the project as a translatable file. It helps to add term pairs, see duplicates and context. And at the end, I can send it to my TM based on the quality of translations.

Creating a reference TM and importing the TMX file to the reference TM is not always the best approach for me. It could be, if TM matches from different TMs were identified with different colours.

Tanya Chepkova
Tanya Chepkova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:33
English to Russian
Issue with large TMX import Apr 20, 2016

It seems like DVX3 cannot import large TMX files. Whenever I try to import the file with more than 10k segments, I receive an error message that the file type is not supported. Is there a way to overcome this obstacle?

Selcuk Akyuz
Türkiye
Local time: 02:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
corrupted file? Apr 20, 2016

Hi Tanya,

I import and export big TMX files (+100k segments). Perhaps there is a problem with the file. Did you try to open it with Olifant?

http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use a .tmx TM with Déjà Vu X3?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »