Thread poster: Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:42
Russian to English
Use of "likely" as "probably" Apr 8, 2017

It's not how I was brought up to speak in the UK but I think it's fine:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/common-adverbs/likely-and-unlikely

"In American English, and more and more in British English, likely is used as a mid-position adverb (like probably in British English), most commonly between wi
... See more

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/common-adverbs/likely-and-unlikely

"In American English, and more and more in British English, likely is used as a mid-position adverb (like probably in British English), most commonly between will and a main verb:

The new regulations will likely result in many people losing their jobs."
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Know Apr 8, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

"In American English, and more and more in British English, likely is used as a mid-position adverb (like probably in British English), most commonly between will and a main verb:

The new regulations will likely result in many people losing their jobs."

I don't know when this happened and I can't stand in the way of linguistic evolution, but I find it as ugly as **** both in written and spoken English, and I will never use it myself. We shall see if i eventually disappears again.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:42
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't worry too much about clients' English Apr 8, 2017

Clients don't always write perfect English, but the fact that they try makes life easier for me. I have to admit my German is not what it used to be, nor is my French, and I don't read Lithuanian at all. Spanish would cause me trouble too. If they could write perfect English themselves, they might not need my services. The four clients I am thinking of make their meaning clear, thank me nicely when I deliver the translation, a... See more
Clients don't always write perfect English, but the fact that they try makes life easier for me. I have to admit my German is not what it used to be, nor is my French, and I don't read Lithuanian at all. Spanish would cause me trouble too. If they could write perfect English themselves, they might not need my services. The four clients I am thinking of make their meaning clear, thank me nicely when I deliver the translation, and pay MY rates.

If clients try to press my rates down, I simply say sorry, but I get plenty of offers of work from clients who pay what I ask. I think my rates are quite competitive enough, and I compete on quality rather than price. I can't handle greater volumes anyway.

If that means some clients finally remove me from their books, it is not my problem. Anyone can say 'I'm cheap', but I have worked hard to be able to say 'I'm good at what I do'. It is all the more reason to keep my rates where they are or raise them.

Several agencies I work for make considerable efforts to collaborate closely with clients AND translators, and they convince end clients they get value for money. Clients stay loyal, agencies save, because they don't have to chase new clients so hard.

There are plenty of arguments. Unfortunately requests for lower rates are not rare, and of course some clients try it on. Don't let them think it is normal or acceptable.

[Edited at 2017-04-08 15:25 GMT]
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Not as strange as it might have been Apr 8, 2017

Not as odd as the e-mail I received from a client telling me about their record profit last year - and then asking me to reduce my rates.
I ignored it, and the volume I got from them didn't change - or if it did I didn't really notice.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:12
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What is happening to your English, Tom? Apr 9, 2017

Tom in London wrote:
We shall see if i eventually disappears again.

That is the second grammar error you have made in just this one thread!

That apart, why worry your head off on such a no-issue, folks? If you don't like the email, just ignore it, and get on with your work.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Certainly Apr 9, 2017

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
We shall see if i eventually disappears again.

That is the second grammar error you have made in just this one thread!

That apart, why worry your head off on such a no-issue, folks? If you don't like the email, just ignore it, and get on with your work.

Certainly. Your post is an excellent example of why I should do that. And it's "non-issue".

Here's an example of why the misuse of "likely" is horrible:

"....Morning Star readers will likely broadly agree with much of Scheuer’s analysis...."

https://ianjsinclair.wordpress.com/2015/02/13/fighting-an-enemy-that-doesnt-exist-michael-scheuer-interview/

[Edited at 2017-04-09 12:25 GMT]

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:42
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Apr 9, 2017

for your answers. They've been very helpful.

Olga Koepping
Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
correction - your rate is normal Apr 11, 2017

Nothing to add to what everyone else has already said - but I'm just amazed that being so well-qualified and apparently experienced, you would even agree to the rate that you currently work for. EDIT: Sorry, my comment referred to the "starting at EUR 0.05" at the bottom of your profile.

[Edited at 2017-04-11 20:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disturbing? Strange? Normal?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »