An oldie, but still good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9KbQyrxSIo

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 14:59
Danish to English
+ ...
Sweet, but... Sep 28, 2015

... she should know better than to be such a pushover...

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
I know just how she feels Sep 29, 2015

... so funny but oh (sometimes) so true.

Jeffrey Henson
Jeffrey Henson
France
Member (2015)
French to English
How *Not* to Discuss Rates with a Translator Sep 29, 2015

Love it ! I thought this one was excellent as well :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeF7ykpRRc4

[Edited at 2015-09-29 12:01 GMT]

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:59
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
OTOH... Sep 29, 2015

With the 5000 words for tomorrow, it's apparently a direct client (law firm), and thus the job is presumably well paid, perhaps with a rush fee. Also, the reason for the rush (filing due) has a ring of truth to it, as opposed to the usual reasons, such as procrastination and a general lack of sense for what is possible. I think most of us would be pretty accommodating in those circumstances. What other choice is there? Tell your direct client to find somebody else?

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:59
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
That word count is not unusual for translating tender and proposal documentation Sep 30, 2015

I spent most of my time translating technical annexes to contracts and proposals for projects, which can average 10,000 words (approx. 40 pages) each. The customers who orders this kind of job simply cannot wait 5 working days for a translator to finish it at the leisurely pace of 2,000 words per day, and is willing to pay a premium price. Just try to "educate" this kind of customer telling them that it cannot be done in 1-2 days, and they will take their big volume translation job to someone el... See more
I spent most of my time translating technical annexes to contracts and proposals for projects, which can average 10,000 words (approx. 40 pages) each. The customers who orders this kind of job simply cannot wait 5 working days for a translator to finish it at the leisurely pace of 2,000 words per day, and is willing to pay a premium price. Just try to "educate" this kind of customer telling them that it cannot be done in 1-2 days, and they will take their big volume translation job to someone else.

My USP is to deliver that volume within 24 hours, and I usually do it. It is just a matter of dominance of the subject and the terminology, use of the right CAT tools and of some auxiliary techniques (VR, MT, etc).

Such a volume is what this segment of the market demands, and one is supposed to meet the demand or be willing to be left behind, as for any trade.
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:59
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, we used to be able to do 5,000 words a day... Sep 30, 2015

...before CAT tools and other technology slowed us down.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It's just 5000 words for tomorrow...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »